5 Things I experienced at Workplace during my Pregnancy


When I got pregnant with Nick, the pregnancy got confirmed only 50 days after my LMP date. The same day I saw some spotting and my gynecologist prescribed me to a 2 month long bed rest. Post that too, I kept facing complications which kept me away from my workplace and I had to retort to work-from-home.

This time its been thankfully different. Other than the sickness phase and a short trip to my mom’s place I have managed to stay regular at office, though with shorter working hours. Yet, there have been those moments when I wished I could just be home, lay still and rest. Here’s a list of 5 things that I experienced at my workplace during my pregnancy.

I’d like to mention here, that I work for an SME in the infrastructure development industry. Our office is 2000 sq. feet of floor space distributed over 2 floors connected through a steep set of stairs. And we are just 40 people in our office.

All my attempts to keep my pregnancy (atleast the initial stages) from becoming public knowledge in the office vent in vain, everytime I ran to the restroom. While I wrenched my sickness out of my system, I tried to keep the noises as low as possible. But everytime, someone or the other would hear some suspicious noises and summon my dear team member to see if I have not been keeping well and why. To make a confession, more than me it was my junior team member who had to face wary queries from other office members. And poor her, keeping her loyalties towards me, she would just ward-off all questions as “God knows what’s wrong with her!”

2) Flexibility overstretched
Oh yes! I completely misused the flexibility privilege bestowed upon me by my management. As soon as I realised I was pregnant, I informed my boss that I couldn’t be doing a full day anymore. Above that, during the first trimester, the sickness took its toll also in the form of intermittent unplanned leaves. So, it was (mis)using flexibility at its peak.

3) Scheduling the staircase trips
As I already mentioned that my office place is distributed across two floors joined by a steep set of staircase, I had to limit my trips to the floor above from where my reporting manager as well as the Managing director work. I would make one trip during the first half to report to my boss about the updates from the previous day. And then one trip towards the end of the work day, discussing with him the daily and intermittent issues apart from the work for the next day. This was it! until my MD
needed some crucial updates or reports which required me to take multiple trips upstairs(though I can count such days on my fingures), I was mostly glued to my cubicle and my floor.

4) Taste bud tantrums
Once I was over my sickness phase, there was always a list of items on my food agenda for the day. These items included candies, juices, chocolates and sometimes a full fledged lunch. I kept my sub-staff busy more or less everyday to run around to tender my food cravings.

5) Withdrawal Symptoms
There were so many days when I really wanted to work, yet didn’t feel like working. Why? Because I thought, what’s the point? This work period was not going to affect my appraisals (and subsequently the increments) as that time to cherish the incremented salary was never going to be there for me to enjoy. Also, I saw less chances of me getting back to the same work profile in near or far future. I know I will work in future, but chances of me getting back to a full time job as a Human Resources Professional are meek and absolutely silky hair thin. So on such days, I chatted on the phone, browsed through the net on various DiY activities and just whiled away time.

As I traverse through the last lap of my current professional stint, I am a mixed-bag of emotions and look back with a lot of fondness at how my workplace has been super- friendly with me through the ups and downs of my journey. I shall cherish this time and long for it in the future. May god give me the strength to move on in the true sense and explore other aspects of my life for which I hadn’t had enough time in the past.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s